Friday, June 18, 2010

Diary of Despair and Unemployment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5907430/Chinese-students-diary-of-despair.html


Chinese student's diary of despair
Published: 9:00PM BST 25 Jul 2009
Unable to find a job and consumed with guilt about her parents' financial sacrifices, Chinese student Liu Wei took her own life. Her diary charts a voyage from hope to despair.
November 2006


"At school, I had a scholarship but now my family has to pay for me to study. I have to pay them back and I have to give money to my brother so he can build a house. My goal is to study hard, get a good job and provide for my family. If I cannot do that, then it is impossible to say that I have a good life."
May 2008


"I cannot believe it is so difficult to find a part-time job; there were 200 students applying for one part-time job as a receptionist. I cannot imagine what will happen when I graduate."
October 9, 2008


"I am a college student but I cannot find a job. How ashamed will I be when I have to go back to the village after I graduate? I feel so tired, I want to keep sleeping and never wake up. What shall I do? Who can save me? Apart from my parents, I will not miss anything in this world."


October 18, 2008 (final diary entry)


"Why so difficult?"

This is such a sad story. She was probably the same age as me. Her family had sacrificed so incredibly much to send her to college; the pressure to succeed must have been unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment